Summer Youth Program Associate
Job Type: Full-time from May 30th – July 28th, 2017
The Summer Youth Program is a 7-week program during June and July for school-aged youth to participate in fun, engaging activities to prevent summer learning loss and develop personal interests. The program focuses on six core areas: STEM, Creative Arts, Physical Education, Environmental Education, Literacy, and Computer Literacy. Programming also includes English as a Second Language classes, field trips, swimming lessons, three meals each day, and recreational activities. Summer Associates will assist youth program staff in planning and implementing educational and enrichment activities for youth, coordinating field trips, creating curriculum, and working closely with youth.
- Two weeks of training at the start of service related to youth development, cultural competency, developing curriculum, classroom management, and working with volunteers
- Assist JCPS teachers with the English as a Second Language program
- Plan and facilitate activities that incorporate STEAM and literacy skills for K-12 youth
- Supervise youth, engage volunteers in the program, work with community partners, and keep records of lesson plans
- Participate in weekly youth staff and supervision meetings
- 18+ years old
- Some college preferred
- U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Experience working with youth
- Comfort working with diverse populations
- Team player
This position is through AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) and benefits include a living allowance, training, and the choice of an education award or end of service stipend upon successful completion of service. To apply, complete the MyAmeriCorps application here. Contact Kristin Burgoyne at email@example.com with questions.
After School Youth Program Teacher
Job Type: Part-time up to 28 hours per week; Must be available to work Monday-Thursday from 3:00-9:00 pm w/ flexible hours on Friday.
Children and Youth Programs staff are responsible for planning long-term objectives and goals. Additionally, staff members are required to prepare and implement daily recreational, social emotional, and academic activities for grades K – 12 during the After School and Family Education Programs, where refugee, immigrant and U.S. born youth come for ESL classes, tutoring, homework help, and other enrichment opportunities. Act as a liaison between ACC and families through the Family Bridge Initiative by engaging in home visits.
Job Responsibilities as Children/Youth Programs staff:
- Facilitate academic activities such as homework help and tutoring for youth K-5th
- Plan and implement educationally enriching activities for groups of youth.
- Supervise and support JCPS ESL teachers
- Prepare for and facilitate small groups of youth in collaboration with other youth staff workers.
- Create curriculum for groups and enrichment programs
- Effectively manage volunteers during program hours
- Help resolve conflicts among participants following ACC disciplinary policies.
- Plan and implement the Family Bridging Initiative, acting as a liaison between parents and ACC responsibly through home visits and other regular communication methods.
- Mentor, support, and encourage the success of our students in school, at home and in the community.
- Supervise check-in and check-out
Other duties :
- Maintains ongoing and appropriate communication between supervisor, team members and general staff to ensure that all information is transparent and accurate.
- Participate in mandatory staff development trainings to increase professional knowledge of issues affecting populations represented at ACC.
- Assist with large events including fundraisers and festivals
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or Programs Director.
- Teaching experience required
- Bi-lingual a plus
- Experience working with children and youth required
Salary: $10.00 /hour
If interested in position, please email cover letter and resume to Kristin Burgoyne, Programs Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.